Tuesday, December 03, 2013

Less Is More


I recently found a really great site I wanted to share with ya'll that are on the "simplicity" bandwagon.  Or even those who are not!  The articles are not all written by the same person but they are all very well written and really express the motives and ideas behind the Minimalist or Simplicity movement.  Right now they have some especially relevant articles about the rampant excesses of the holidays and how to avoid that. So, if you are of a mind, hop on over to Becoming Minimalist and thumb through the great articles.  There are many helpful tips on, not only decluttering, but deowning.  Just how to get rid of so much stuff!!  And how to explain to other people why you don't want more stuff to replace it!  (I know I have had a really hard time of that with some of my family).
Lately, when I feel too bad to successfully make any pottery, I've been tootling around boxing up stuff to get rid of.  I either sell it on a local online yard sale or just take it to Goodwill.  I've been working on this for over a year and still have a bunch to go.  Mainly it's my studio space although I do have a bunch of stuff around my desk and such that needs to go.  My goal is to get my studio, and basement in general, much less occupied and more organized so that cleaning the area is easier.  I don't know about ya'll but I can't stand to try and work in a messy area and I think sometimes I get discouraged from my pottery because the place is not comfortable to me.
Anyway, the website has some really great articles on living with less and why to live with less.  How to not be possessed by your possessions!  Have any of you been working on paring down your things or living a more simplified life?

5 comments:

Ed said...

I don't consider myself a minimalist but if I compare myself to some of my peers and how much stuff they have crammed into their houses and even storage lockers, I guess I am. I am always trying to lighten the load around here. But I do try to live simply even if I'm not as minimalist as I could be.

MamaHen said...

Hey Ed! well, you make a good point. I don't really consider myself a minimalist, although I'd like to, but when you compare to most people I'd say I really was! lol!

ErinFromIowa said...

I have been trying to do this also! It is such a good feeling getting rid of stuff you don't need. My latest project was going thru my Christmas decorations and downsizing big time. My motto used to be decorate until it looked like elves had thrown up in the joint. Ha! My grandson and I decorated my GIANT hibiscus plant and proclaimed it the most amazing Charlie Brown tree ever! He and I decided which decorations should stay at grandma's house and then his mom and aunts divided up the rest and took it home. After Christmas it will be so easy to pack things away for next year.

JO said...

I hear you on the clearing out. I have been at it for some time too.
I donate lots of things and the lady is always so happy to see me with my truck load. As soon as my grandson clears out the top loft in the shed we will go through everything and see what needs to go. At one time I had a studio out there but gave up the ceramics stuff.

MamaHen said...

Hey Erin! Oh yeah, I've always been big on Christmas decorations too! I've pared mine down and also use a lot of natural stuff (pine etc) so it is just composted afterwards and not stored.

Hey Jo! I wish I could get Jack to clear out the shed here but that's his stuff and I said he could have that area..lol!