Saturday, June 28, 2014

There's No Business Like Show Business

 Goodness!  I guess I didn't realize just how long it had been since I last posted. Kind of just the same ol' stuff going on here:  Rain and more rain.  Some days I feel like crap.  Some days I feel pretty good.  Pottery making and deliveries.  Not much going on in the way of building but I have been cleaning and getting rid of more stuff.  That always helps. 
And speaking of 'stuff', we did go to the antiques Roadshow!!  And I had a blast!  Of course, none of the things I took were worth much but it was still a lot of fun and I can now say I finally got to do that.  We made a day of it by going in a little early and having a nice dinner at The Fish Market downtown.  Then we headed over to the Birmingham Civic Center and found our way to the exhibition hall where the show was being held. 


When you received your tickets they all had a particular time on them that your ticket was good for.  That way they wouldn't have 6,000 people show up at one time trying to get in.  Our tickets were for 5:00 p.m.  The last group to be admitted.  It was all very smooth and we actually did not have to wait very long before going into the area where they do the actual appraisals.  We talked to other people in line, which was fun, and finally made it through the lines to have our items appraised.  If you are familiar with the show, Sebastian Clarke appraised my little stool and he was a lot of fun to talk to.  All the people were very nice but you could tell many of them were kinda tired at that point.  Nevertheless, while I was waiting on Allen to get his item appraised, I just walked around observing and the folks running things said I could wander around inside where they were filming and watch.  Just mind not to get in the way, which I tried to be careful of.  So that was cool.  From what I read later they found some really good (and expensive) items in Birmingham and I watched them film 2 different appraisals. 


So, these are the items I took.  My little walnut stool.  I was correct in my guess about it's age (early 1930's).  One of my older Yixing teapots out of my small collection.  And, my Japanese teabowl.  As I told Allen when I met back up with him, I won't be building the other half of my house anytime soon with my new found wealth but...all the items were, at least, worth more than what I paid for them.  At any rate, we had a really fun time and it was something I've wanted to do for a long time.  And yes, I will be applying for tickets again!! 
Oh, and if you are wondering; they would not let you take any photos once you entered the area where the appraisals were going on, so that is why I really don't have any pictures.  But I do have good memories!

4 comments:

JO said...

I love that tea pot. Your little stool is really cool too. I would love to go to the show someday. I have a movie poster of "A Star is Born" I picked up at a yard sale many years ago. I can't imagine someone spending so much money to frame something if it wasn't a good poster. Glad you had fun.

ErinFromIowa said...

I love that teapot too! Do you think we will be able to see you in the background when we watch the show? Years ago someone I knew attended a Richmond show and said to watch for her. Ha! Ha! I strained my eyeballs half outta my head in order to see a flash of her backside as she entered another room.

MamaHen said...

Hey Jo! Yeah, I would imagine that poster would be worth something. thanks! We had a lot of fun.

Hey Erin! haha! well, it's possible. And I'm sure if you can see me in the background I will look as dorky as possible. lol! I was only there while they were filming the piece with a silver tea(?) service. The other one I watched was only filmed with one camera so I don't think I was in that background.

Island Rider said...

I love that teapot!